2008-03-07

VectorWorks Plans

The VectorWorks is a big monster that I'll learn piece-by-piece (and many pieces I'll never manage to learn), but some of the many parts I'll try to cover in the next posts:

  • The drawing organization (the concepts and right designing of Design Layers/Classes/Sheet layers/Viewports/Saved Views/References)
  • The Architecture parts (Walls, doors, windows, floors, columns, worksheet drawings, the ability to finish a complete architecture project on VectorWorks from A to Z)
  • The interior design (the lighting and furniture, especially in booths design)
  • The landscape (plants, hardscape, softscape, irrigation, grading, site model and modifiers, staking)
  • The interaction between it and the GIS (importing/exporting shapefiles, using georeferenced imagery, the DTM and exporting it the GIS, using attributes and records)
  • Visualization (trying to use it as a substitute to 3dsmax and Autodesk Viz in architecture and Landscape visualization, getting the most out of RenderWorks and the Radiosity renders)

Some other parts I might start to (finally) learn about, but I'm not sure when:

  • 3D Modeling (most of the modeling I done is either basic shapes or Architectural-focused, I need to learn about NURBS, mechs, surfaces, complex 3D geometries)
  • VectorScript (I think it's a shame to be a programmer that works in an Engineering and Designing office and know nothing about how to customize my environment)

Other parts I will certainly not cover:

  • Mechanic Design (The Hardware parts, machine components, welding, bearings, springs, and so on)
  • MEP and HVAC (I hardly know the meaning of the acronyms, and we don't work in this field in the office)

No comments: