2008-11-03

Experiments with Subversion

I've been experimenting with Subversion, and it turned out to be great tool, even for single developers, where its ability to indefinitely remember changes and track versions is indispensable to any software project that is more than a small hack.

Also the ability to work with it is very important to contribute to any major open source software (especially the ones I'm currently interested in as uDig, PostGIS and OpenLayers).

I'm using Subclipse and TortoiseSVN to handle the communication from and to my SVN repository, Subclipse is particularly easy and handles all of my needed functions with tight integration to the Eclipse platform; I've tried the Subversive and it didn't seem to recognize the SVN connector library (neither JavaHL nor SVNKit), I think the Subversive plug-in is more feature-rich, but until further attempt, Subclipse is very stable to me.

I've also read about Git, Mercurial and Bazaar, and I think the Distributed Version Controlling Systems are really interesting, but they seem to not fit so well with my development model, you can check about some notes about them here and here.

No comments: